Upcoming Features

News regarding the TerreSculptor software.
Demenzun Media

Re: Upcoming Features

Postby Demenzun Media » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Thanks. I'm going to be doing a video tutorial on using the erosion tools.

The thing to keep in mind with the Rain Erosion is that the erosion effect is a constant size, in other words, the raindrops and running water are the same "diameter" independent of the heightmap size.
So the erosion "gulley" effect is the same width, regardless of the heightmap size that is used, this makes the gulleys look larger and wider on smaller heightmaps due to spatial resolution differences.
The Erosion Type parameter will vary the gulley width somewhat, since those values are actually the bilinear erosion brush diameter.

This spatial resolution causes issues with the preview not really being accurate, since the main heightmap may easily be 2x or 4x larger than the preview's 512x512 size.
So for the Rain Erosion, the main thing to keep in mind, is that if the 512x512 preview looks like what you want, and your main heightmap is actually 1024x1024, you have to basically double the Rain Amount, Erosion Rate, and Soil Carry Capacity, and decrease the Evaporation Rate parameters.
The default values for the Rain Erosion tool look good at 512x512, so you usually want to change the parameters I mentioned previously by 2x for a 1024x1024 heightmap, by 4x for a 20148x2048 heightmap, etc. Once you play with those values for a while, you will get a feel for what looks good on the various heightmap sizes.

This issue of inaccurate preview resolution matchup to some modifiers is going to be fixed in a future build.
I am adding another preview mode called "3D Virtual" where the 512x512 preview size is actually a 1:1 chunk of the full original heightmap, with the ability to pan that selection around the entire original heightmap. That way the modifiers such as erosion, smooth, etc., will look spatially correct.
I hope I explained that well.

I am also going to test multi-threading the Rain Erosion modifier, so it may get a major performance increase over its already fast execution time.

I also have another Flowmap Erosion modifier in the works, which provides another realistic erosion algorithm, and can create wider gulleys.
Plus I have some improvements coming to the existing Hydraulic and Slope erosions.

Demenzun Media

Postby Demenzun Media » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:38 am

Build 1.0.2017.025 is available for download. See the blog for details.

What's Coming Next:

I am currently working on completing the full move over to the dark theme, some controls on a few of the forms are still using the old style, and some of the icon graphics require replacement or editing.
The 16-bit PNG file format and Datamap Split functions are nearing completion and should be in the next release.
More videos for the YouTube channel are coming soon.

For the future, 12 new Modifiers are under development, 2 new Noisemap Generators are under development, and 4 new Extractors including Splatmap are under development. These will be released in new builds as they are completed. I expect most of them to become available this year.

mAlkAv!An

Postby mAlkAv!An » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:58 pm

Great, I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be to have 16-bit PNG files.
I'm working a lot with Blender where PNG is some sort of the default image file format (usually it's also my personal first choice) so this comes in handy.

Demenzun Media wrote:I hope I explained that well.

Yes you did. I also read the blog post about the rain erosion beforehand so I already had an idea of how it's working.
In fact your posts are always giving good explanations and profound information. That's something I still remember from the UDK/Unreal forums.

Demenzun Media wrote:I also have another Flowmap Erosion modifier in the works, which provides another realistic erosion algorithm, and can create wider gulleys. Plus I have some improvements coming to the existing Hydraulic and Slope erosions.

Looking forward to these, keep up the good work.

Demenzun Media

Postby Demenzun Media » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:06 pm

The updated PNG file format support includes 16-bit grayscale, 48-bit RGB (16-bit components), and 64-bit ARGB (16-bit components).
The TIF file format will also be updated and includes additional image format support.
The vertex array render bug that some computer systems showed has also been fixed.
I am also including a few more standard modifiers in the Standard Edition.
The build update with these changes is only a few days away.

There are some new modifiers that will be available very soon.
There are more than a dozen new modifiers in the works.
The modifiers releasing soon include:
- Blender, which blends an external heightmap or mask with the current datamap using 20 different blend functions, such as Add, Multiply, Dodge, Burn.
- Downsample, an extremely accurate resampling method that uses pixel strips to provide higher quality than bilinear etc.
- Void Fill, for filling the missing data in certain Digital Elevation Model files.

Demenzun Media

Postby Demenzun Media » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:17 pm

The TerreSculptor build 1.0.17.039 for 2017-02-08 is now available online.

This build release includes the following items:
- Expanded PNG file format support including 16-bit grayscale, 48-bit RGB and 64-bit RGBA.
- Calculator buttons on the New dialog. If these are successful and useful they will be added to additional dialogs such as the Resample modifier.
- Numerous fixes were applied, including the Equalize modifier remembering the Autoscale and Show Datamap checkbox states within a session.

This build release also sees a number of updates to the Standard Edition including:
- Transform Erosion Rain modifier added. Enjoy.
- GIF, JPG, PNG, and RAW file format import and export added.

What is coming next is:
- Terrain heightmap Split File Save dialog, for splitting the heightmap into tiles for importing into software such as UE4.
- Additional and improved JPG and TIF file format support.

Followed by:
- Blender modifier. Blend the current terrain heightmap using 20 algorithms.
- ClampEdge modifier. Clamp the heightmap edge to a specified altitude.
- Combiner modifier. Combine two heightmaps using 21 algorithms.
- Downsample modifier. An extremely high quality down-size resampler.
- Terrace modifier. Add variable terraces to your terrains to look like canyons and terraced erosion.
- VoidFill modifier. For filling the missing data in certain Digital Elevation Model files.

mAlkAv!An

Postby mAlkAv!An » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Any news on future updates?

Return to “News”